Thursday 31 December 2015

2015 in Review: The Stats...


Oh, you didn't think you were going to get clean away into 2016 without any facts and figures, did you? You've had the good list and the bad list, but what's a load of old opinion without a few hard statistics to back it up? Where's the bloody fun in going to the cinema 157 times in a year if you don't have a spreadsheet to keep track of it all, eh? Don't worry, you're not going to get all the analysis (although full source-data is available upon request), just the front-end of the year we've had.

Most of them are utterly meaningless, obviously, but it keeps me sane ordering data like this.
It's hand-drawn as well. Yeah, look impressed...

This was 2015.
These were the highs, those were the lows.
Here are the stats…


This is how often I went to the cinema…

…and these were the films I watched the most.

This is how the certification, genre and ratings break down…

These are the buildings I sat in…

…and these are the screens and seats I sat in at my local.

So, yeah. My overall-viewing-total is at a record high. I'd set myself a target of 150 for 2015, and if I'm being honest, it almost broke me. It's only three flicks a week, but when your local has just five screens (with overlapping screenings of the big movies), that means you'll be watching a fair amount of filler (or worse still travelling to see it). And if you've been around these parts for a while, you'll know I've seen a lot of filler this year.

And what's next? Well, it's going to get a little quieter, for one thing. Obviously setting another (ie higher) target isn't feasible given that this year will be the cinematic hangover from 2015's big-hitters. It's also fucking exhausting. I'll still be watching most of what's on offer at my local, and taking regular excursions to the capital to catch the more niche movies, but the numbers will be whatever the numbers will be. And I'll just take this moment to point out that most of my viewing is made possible by Cineworld's Unlimited Card. If you love watching films on a big screen and there's a branch near you, it's a complete no-brainer. The Unlimited card costs less per month than two standard cinema tickets. Not everyone uses their as much as I do of course, but as you can tell from this post, I'm not entirely normal. And no, Cineworld haven't asked/paid/bribed me to say this (although in the interests of full disclosure, they have been really good to me this year - but that's for another series of posts).

I'll also use this post to say thank you for putting up with my 'I Can't Believe I Haven't Seen…' reviews. The original idea was to do one old movie a week for 52 weeks, but because I'm terrible at putting aside time to watch anything that's not in a cinema, it's fallen behind a little (plus IRL has been a pain in the arse this year, to be frank). With that in mind, the series will continue, but I'll go further back and just keep on until I run out of unseen classics to watch.

And other than that, thank you for reading this drivel. Not just this drivel, but all of my drivel that you read. I do this blog for fun and to stave off boredom, and if you weren't there clicking on the posts, I wouldn't have got this far. You're all really very special.


The full list of WoB reviews for this year is right here.

Here's to 2016!




DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment