Sunday 29 December 2013

Review: 47 Ronin

World of Blackout Film Review

47 Ronin 3D Poster

47 Ronin (3D)
Cert: 12A / 119 mins / Dir. Carl Rinsch



Director Carl Rinsch brings us a festive offering of feudal folklore, managing (just about) to explain the presence of Keanu Reeves in an otherwise Japanese cast. As with Crouching Tiger, you'll get the most enjoyment out of the telling of the story, rather than the details themselves. That's not to say that the tale trips itself up at all, but remember that this incarnation of the tale is Chushingura (read: fictionalised/embellished) and the nature of the fable almost seems at odds with 3D cinema in 2013 (despite needing that same technology to bring it to life). At times Lord of the Rings and at times Pirates of the Caribbean, the film is at its best when it shows the magical powers of a few of the characters, being largely accepted by everyone else. It's important to remember that within the context of the story, witchcraft is a thing; it can't be used by everybody, and it's not all-powerful, it just is*1. All in all, I found 47 Ronin highly entertaining as a self-contained vehicle for a story I wasn't previously familiar with.

As much as I like Keanu*2, I can't help but feel that 47 Ronin would have a bit more 'heft'*3 if someone else had been cast in the role of Kai. While he's central to the story (particularly the more fantastical elements of the myth), it's Ôishi (Hiroyuki Sanada) who drives the plot forward. That said, Kai's stoicism and downtrodden demeanour are perfect for Reeves, and he plays the role well; I'm just aware that his very presence is a bugbear for many critics. But whatever, Reeves doesn't showboat in the way that Cruise or Jackman would. #miaow

On a personal note, I found it quite satisfying to see the Samurai become the Ronin, then become the Ninja to return to being Samurai. It pushed my buttons, anyway…

While it's true that 47 Ronin won't be for everyone, how many movies are? For a deftly assembled tale of honour, humility, sacrifice and badass witchery, you won't go too far wrong here. Even the 3D is reasonably rendered, which for live-action is a plus.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
The film's a little more leisurely than that trailer, but it's no bad thing..


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
I did.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
For me, yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
It's meant to be watched big, so cinema for best results.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
probably not.


Will I watch it again?
I will.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
I think I heard one buried in there, but I'll err on the side of no.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
Spoilers - Highlight to read: How many films can you think of (particularly ones released at Christmas) where a mass suicide is the happy ending?



*1 In other words, no, they can't just jump on to the eagles and drop the ring straight into the volcano.
*2 Well, I don't mind him. He's good in the right roles, I suppose. This is one of those. IMHO.
*3 By which I mean the panning that the film's currently receiving from the critics (unfairly, in my opinion). Had the film been made with another actor, or featured Japanese dialogue with subtitles, I think we'd be looking at a different aggregated score.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment