Wednesday 30 October 2013

Review: Thor (third-pass)

World of Blackout Film Review

Thor Poster

Thor (3D) (third-pass)
Cert: 12A / 112 mins / Dir. Kenneth Branagh



You can read my first (2011) review of Thor here, and my second-pass one here.

Pardon? A double-bill with 2011's tousled-lock-fest Thor leading into a midnight-showing of 2013's swinging-hammer-fest The Dark World? Why wouldn't I be interested? Hmm? You're right, I do have work in the morning; but it's nothing that coffee can't fix. YEAH!

So I think we all know the score. Gratuitous chest-shots from Chris, gratuitous smouldering from Tom, and gratuitous smashing-things-with-a-hammer to keep the everyone else happy. I'd actually forgotten that the 3D's not too shabby in the first half hour or so of the film, I'd forgotten how much time we spend on Asgard throughout, and I'd forgotten how good Jaimie Alexander looks in body-armour. All three are points in the film's favour.

Going back to this movie after the excesses of Avengers Assemble and Iron Man 3, it actually seems quite… well 'restrained', somehow. It's a marvellous scene-setter for the God of Thunder, but works better as part of the ongoing series than as a standalone adventure.



Is the trailer representative of the film?
Yep.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Yep.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
For me? Yep.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
For me? Cinema. Hence this review.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
A little, but not too much.


Will I watch it again?
Yep.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
I'm pretty certain I heard one buried in an explosion, yeah.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
Where's Lorelei though, hmm?



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment