Wednesday 17 July 2013

Review: Shaun of the Dead

World of Blackout Rewind-Review

Shaun of the Dead Poster

Shaun of the Dead
Cert: 15 / 95 mins / Dir. Edgar Wright



In a needless attempt to get myself excited for The World's End, I've been having a Wright-a-thon this week. First Spaced, next Shaun. Edgar Wright's zombie flick and spiritual successor to his TV series is, in my humble opinion, a masterpiece. The tone of the film is very much evolved from the show (to the point where at least one minor character has a cameo), and Wright's stylistic touches take the sharp edges off what should be a gorefest and propel the plot along nicely.

In keeping with his previous work there are a shed-load of references and homages (some subtle, some glaring), and not just from the zombie genre. But with all the plates it has to spin, the film never loses sight of what it has to be: a romantic/buddy/zombie comedy. And it manages this with a flair that hasn't been approached before or since*1.

Shaun joins the hallowed ranks of Star Wars, Back To The Future, From Dusk Till Dawn and Snatch; a film that I am never not in the mood to watch.


Best line: "…get FUCKED, four-eyes!"


Is the trailer representative of the film?
Oh, yes.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Oh, yes.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Oh, yes.


Buy, pay to rent, or wait until it's on for free?
You should already own this. If not, I've no doubt it's on ITV2 now.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Yes.


Will I watch it again?
Obviously.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Just about; it's quiet.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


And my question for YOU is…
Do you want anything from the shop?



Oh, and did I tell you about the time me and my mate went to The Winchester?
The Winchester!


*1 Because let's be honest, SotD has opened the door for some right old derivative shite in the years since its release. It can't be blamed for that, but it can't be ignored, either.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment