Tuesday 30 April 2013

Review: Evil Dead (1981)

World of Blackout Film Review

Evil Dead (1981) Poster

Evil Dead (1981)
Cert: 18 / 85 mins / Dir. Sam Raimi



Let's not get all precious about it; The 1981 version of Evil Dead looks pretty terrible and is acted appallingly*1. That's not to say it isn't a massive amount of fun*2, but don't put it on a pedestal while you're berating the remake.

As much as I love this film, it hasn't aged very well, although obviously it wasn't really intended to be shown on today's technology. With shots that are slightly out of focus and patchy sound in places, this is best suited to your living room (although isn't that where we all originally saw it anyway?*3).

Oh, and for those of us (myself included) noting that the remake is lacking the humour of the original? You/I/we're thinking of Evil Dead II. There's the odd dark chuckle here and there, but it's pretty much on-par with Alvarez's version in terms of laughs.

And yet for all my grumbling, it really is an outstanding achievement, and I can feel the love and dedication in. every. frame. Even the ones with the plasticine models. Dammit, especially the ones with the plasticine models.

Join us...


Is the trailer representative of the film?
Kinda. I mean, that tells you what you're going to get, yes.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Hand on heart? Mostly laughing and wincing.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
DVD*4.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Probably not.


Will I watch it again?
Absolutely.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Not that I heard.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...



*1 Although Bruce is giving it his all, I'll admit, he just hadn't sharpened those tools at this point.
*2 Okay, apart from The Tree Sequence. That never becomes comfortable.
*3 Not in MY living room, obviously. Yours. We all saw it in YOUR living room. I think you were out that night?
*4 Obviously, I saw this in the cinema, hence the review, and hence my opinion on the DVD being better. And for the record? I sat in a room with 8 (eight) other people to watch it. Horror-fans of Berkshire and the surrounding areas, you should be fucking well ashamed of yourselves. Don't say they never give you anything ;)

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment