Sunday 24 March 2013

Review: Wreck-It Ralph (second-pass)

World of Blackout 77-Word Film Review

Wreck-It Ralph Poster

Wreck-It Ralph (2D)
Cert: PG / 92 mins / Dir. Rich Moore



So it's taken a while to catch Wreck It Ralph a second time (first here), and as I trudged to the cinema at the ungodly hour of 9:40 on a Sunday to catch its final screening, I wondered if it would be worth sacrificing a lie-in for. And as I sat in a darkened room with only seven other people, I was warmly reassured. I would walk over hot coals and broken glass to see this film projected in a cinema. With a second viewing, it's not only become a definite candidate for Film Of The Year, but it's also now in my list of all-time favourites. Seriously.

My only criticism would be that the second act doesn't cut between the Ralph/Vanellope and Felix/Calhoun segments often enough, and when we do switch to see what the other pair are doing, it almost feels like effort, somehow. But if that's the worst thing I can say about a film, then it's worked pretty bloody hard to impress me with everything else.

A second watch also meant I could take my foot of the plot-pedal and spend more time looking at the Easter Eggs scattered everywhere. Everywhere. Beautiful. Oh, I also noticed a Star Wars 1983 game cab during the arcade montage scene, this time around. Which was awesome.

Each passing year brings a stream of animated movies aimed at the younger audience (especially now 3D is such a money-spinner), and as a grown-up*1 it's easy to look past the Happy Meal tie-ins and see which ones will become classics in the future. Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and now Wreck It Ralph. Welcome to the club, sir.

Oh, and here's the animated short, Paperman that runs before cinema screenings of Wreck It Ralph. Worth the ticket price alone…

Is the trailer representative of the film?
Yes.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Yes.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
Cinema.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
Yes.


Will I watch it again?
Yes.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
Yes.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


*1 And I use that term in its loosest sense, believe me.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment