Friday 25 January 2013

Review: Zero Dark Thirty

World of Blackout 77-Word Film Review

Zero Dark Thirty Poster

Zero Dark Thirty
Cert: 15 / 157 mins / Dir. Kathryn Bigelow



As a dramatised reconstruction, Zero Dark Thirty is incredibly tight. As a feature film, not so much. A great first act, and a fantastic third one are hamstrung by a mid section full of mumbled, overlong dialogue and too much detail. Maybe I want my films too simplified, but maybe I shouldn't have to know the entire story in depth before going in?

A technical masterpiece, not made for me.

Is the trailer representative of the film?
…ish.


Did I laugh, cry, gasp and sigh when I was supposed to?
Mostly.


Does it achieve what it sets out to do?
Yes.


Pay at the cinema, Rent on DVD or just wait for it to be on the telly?
DVD.


Will I think less of you if we disagree about how good/bad this film is?
No.


Will I watch it again?
No.


Is there a Wilhelm Scream?
No*1.


And because you won't be happy until I've given it a score...


*1 There's a perfect moment for one in the final segment, but even I think that would be inappropriate.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.
• Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.
• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment