Tuesday 16 October 2012

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (second-pass)

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower poster

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
103 mins / Dir. Stephen Chbosky

A second viewing for Wallflower as I dragged Mrs Blackout along to see what could well be my favourite film of the year. There's not really a lot to add to my first review, but that's not to say it was any less enjoyable. Knowing the backstories of the characters meant I wasn't as overwhelmed with each revelation of a destroyed childhood, but I got more out of the humour and the details because of it. Watching the film again also reinforced my suspicion that the film definitely isn't going to be for everybody, so outside of this blog, I probably won't be recommending it to people who aren't interested anyway.

For the record, Mrs Blackout enjoyed it very much.

But seriously, who doesn't know Heroes by Bowie? It's not a 'new' song at the time the film takes place. "I found the tunnel song!" Sam exclaims excitedly as she hands a cassette to Charlie. "Indeed," Charlie thinks, "and I hope your new friends aren't letting you hear the bloody end of that one, Mrs Eclectic Taste In Music..."

See the film, that'll make sense.

6/7

See the film. Today. Go.


DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment