Friday 7 September 2012

Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.

National Theatre Live: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time poster

National Theatre Live: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
140 mins / Dir. Marianne Elliott

Broadcast live from the National Theatre in London, to cinemas throughout the UK, this is the first stage adaptation of Mark Haddon's celebrated novel about Christopher, a boy with Asperger's / high-functioning Autism, who finds his neighbour's dog murdered. The story is told from Christopher's perspective as he tries to find the killer, amid his troubled home-life...



It was pretty great, but not really my thing. The minimalistic sets and small/recurring cast made it a bit too modern theatre for my liking. The moments of humour felt mis-placed, as they aren't used enough to be an actual feature, and I was baffled by the apparent passage of time within the story.

But hey, I'm not a theatre critic. I'm barely even a movie critic.

For the most part, it's brilliantly performed (Luke Treadway's performance is Christopher is truly jaw-dropping), but I had a hard time relating to or sympathising with any of the characters. There's an irony in there, somewhere.

I recommend you see this as and when you can, I just know it's not for me.

4/7

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment