Saturday 2 June 2012

New Facebook account-thing.

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.




Well, hello there! Ian / Yen / Harrington / Blackout, here (depending on where you know me from).
Chances are, you're reading this because I sent you a Facebook friend-request. This blog post was too lengthy to realistically include in that message, hence…

About four months ago, for reasons best known to Mark Zuckerberg, my Facebook profile-page stopped working. I could still log into my account, post and share things, and send messages to everyone, but my 'front page' showed this…



…which isn't a lot of good to anyone. It also meant that any posts, photos or comments that included my profile URL resulted in the same error. Now Facebook aren't the easiest people to actually 'contact', which is horribly ironic when you think about it, but after many support-tickets raised, and no individual response or 'fix', I had two options: stop using Facebook altogether, or just start a new account and migrate all my friends over to it. It's starting to be a major pain in the arse now, as I can't look at posts that I've made when they've got comments/likes on them. Despite everything, I am quite fond of FB, so I went for the second option.

Which brings us to where we are now.

So, you've had a friend-request from me, with the address of this page in the message section. Once you accept, I'll un-friend you from my other account. I'll be keeping that account live, but only because I've got images in photo-albums that are being hosted for blog-posts etc. I won't be using the old account any more. All the cool shit is going on over at my new one.

Unless you let me know otherwise, once you're friends with my new account, I'll un-friend you from my old one. This is mainly to keep things neater, but it'll mean any existing message conversations between us will be deleted. If you want to stay friends with my old account, let me know!


Facebook, being the caring considerate corporate beast that it is, will get all sniffy and suspicious if I friend-request loads of people at once, thinking that I might be a bot (yes, the irony is getting heavier), and so this will be a gradual process, probably taking weeks rather than days. So what I'm saying is that you're reading this towards the end of June or later, I didn't forget you, I was just working though a list.

I'm also aware that you and I may not have actually 'conversed' a lot recently. But I make a point of not friending strangers on Facebook, so if you're reading this, I do know who you are, and I still want to be FB buddies with you. You're welcome to disregard this completely, of course, and I won't hold that against you at all.

If you have any questions on any of this, you can either drop me a comment below, or just send a private-message on my old Facebook page.

Hope to see you soon!



Ian / Yen / Harrington / Blackout.



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment