Monday 13 February 2012

Review: The Phantom Menace 3D (Second-Pass)

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D  poster

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (3D)
136 mins / Dir. George Lucas

There'll probably be a few of these, seeing as how I said I'd document each visit to the cinema. I've written about how much I love The Phantom Menace here, and I've reviewed the 3D transfer here.

As much as I love TPM (and I do), and as much as I love the new digi-Yoda (and I do), I've got to vent a little on two things that LFL haven't fixed...

• Obi-Wan's hair braid in the 'another pathetic lifeform' sequence...

No. Need.

There are other (very brief) flip-shots in the film, but this is a fairly lengthy one. With dialogue. It's not enough that Ewan's face looks different in mirrored shots (as do most people's), but he's got a distinct fucking braid. Now I don't mind that it was there in 1999, or even so much that it made it to the DVD transfer. But every frame of this film has been optimised for HD and then for 3D, and still it's been left in. I don't want LFL to flip the entire shot, just move the braid.

• Solid-end / hollow-end / solid-end / hollow-end..?

No. Need.
It'd make sense for the blade emitter to be a hollow cylinder; they are on all other lightsabers. It just seems a bit sloppy to give Ray Park props for the wide-shots without that detail. Again, slightly sloppy in 1999/2001, but completely sloppy in 2011/2012.

Those two aren't deal-breakers, but they've been noticable since 1999.
Just sayin'.

7/7

Phantom Menace 3D ticket

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment