Tuesday 20 December 2011

263: Review - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas poster

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)
20th December 2011. Location: Cinema

Hmmm. In places, this is very funny. In other places, it's quite sweet. But it's slack and charmless in more places than those two combined, and no amount of insincere bromance can fix that. The 3D 'things flying at the camera' is way overdone, even for a self-referential in-joke, and that's representative of the whole film. The toddler-on-a-variety-of-drugs strand seems wrongly-funny at first, but is soon flogged mercilessly to death (the gag, not the toddler). Oh, and is it okay to laugh at racial stereotyping just because it's a Mexican guy saying it? Probably not, for the amount they keep re-using it. Yeah, I know; wooly liberal. What of it?

Not enough jokes, not enough plot, not enough interest. Some good set pieces, but this is meant to be a movie, not Saturday Night Live. Ultimately, I'd probably have enjoyed this a lot more if I'd been out of my box when I watched it, but since that's not my thing, I'll concede that I'm really not the target audience for this movie.

3/7

^^ Part of me wants to give it a middling 4/7, but the bottom line is, it's just not that likeable.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment