Saturday 22 October 2011

244: Thank you, Twitter

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.


Hello. Chances are you're reading this because you've been directed here by me on Twitter.



Last night (Fri 21 Oct), I tweeted that my nephew's guitar had been stolen in Oxford. He's 17, just started music college, and like I did at that age, adores his guitar. He was feeling like absolute shit about the whole thing, so I figured the least I could do was put the word out that a black SG Prophecy was 'in the wild', so that at least if it was offered for sale in a pub, second-hand-shop etc, there'd be some awareness that it was probably stolen. I don't normally ask for a re-tweet, but it seemed sensible under the circumstances.

Then Twitter (you) showed me why Twitter (you) is/are brilliant. I had what can only be described as a humbling number of RTs and enquiries/help.

As of mid-day on Saturday 22nd October, the guitar has been recovered. I don't know many more details, as my nephew's dad has gone to pick it up as I type this. I'll update this post if/as I learn any more. What I also don't know is whether Twitter (you) was/were instrumental in its recovery. I think you were, anyway.



I want to say a massive THANK YOU to the following tweeters who very kindly re-tweeted my message, so that more people had an eye out for the guitar:

@AndyMcH
@Wllmtnnnt
@MrBoffly
@TheShowerCiara
@Maisey_M
@JonnieLovepole
@parkerbats
@ellaboheme
@lolwarlol
@ElKaboing
@mcsleazy
@Arfa1969
@alanlaw
@nizbizz
@juliefon
@vengod
@craigblundell
@Danno375
@KubMartin
@minitheminx9
@ScottyBoyGooner
@AndyHoldcroft
@ganofo
@TheFinesthour
@Anita_Neet
@doddsytattack
@stevejalim
@drummerwhitey
@GemmaDrums
@yo_toots
@Stephen13Payne
@scott_guitar23
@pawwow
@MattWBP
@padster
@Phoebely
@AverageCynic
@MayaVonDoll
@MelismaMusic1
@pleasecruelty
@Jubbly_1
@FunSizeSuze
@mynameis_robyn
@RachelDonag
@BestBridesWE
@ClaireElaneW
@i_am_mclovin
@Lalaasaurus
@sofee_
@4maddy2
@garwboy
@steve_x
@bulldoxide
@JessDearrr
@STERLINGBRIDGES
@pixelsmummy
@bobdmello
@sickmouthy
@rllyquitetired
@SmoutsAbout
@DaddyPerry
@Chimpmansworth
@Denise_Meredith
@SamDaleFunkSoul
@chadsbits
@fleurdelysmusic
@quev71
@JoJo3398
@crowmogh
@restorationcake
@Jules_Clarke
@HelenArmfield
@mamacrow
@hand_of_Ike
@The_Bats
@KhandieKhisses
@GemWitchalls
@conchitamou
@ponshus
@ColonelHitch
@KhandBapa
@ProPatria46
@Stevietosh
@Major_Grooves
@EllieBrown710
@WORDright
@TabbyOnTour
@reductioadabsur
@velderia
@yellbean
@KathrynBell1
@rosepryce
@stehatch
@sebastianflyte


And a lot of those people were made aware of the situation thanks to the RT by Mr Jaret Reddick of @bfsrocks. Without Jaret's tweet, the thank-you list would be a lot shorter.

You have my sincere and heartfelt thanks for your small, yet hugely important, actions. I suspect there are more users, whose names Twitter isn't showing me, who I also have to thank. If your name isn't on the list, but you did RT my message, you also have my utmost thanks.

I'm going to delete my original tweets to stop it being RT'd any further by people who aren't aware of the updated situation.



I may have to re-think my whole "the world is full of arseholes" philosophy. The number is reduced by at least 94 people today.

You fucking humble me, Twitter, and I'm pretty sure a certain 17yr old appreciates you, too.



DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment