Sunday 24 April 2011

132: No Arth' Measures

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.

• Wear sensible footwear
• Take plenty of provisions and equipment
• Always follow the path

These are just three of the mountaineering-rules I didn't follow properly today when I climbed a volcano.
A pair of trainers, a bottle of water, and a "ooh, is that the path? [2 minutes later, clambering over rock] Ah, no. No it isn't..." attitude got me 251m (823ft) above the city.

Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh.

Not the flat ledge at the front, but the highest of the two peaks behind it. That's Arthur's Seat, an long-extinct volcano in Edinburgh. I'll be honest, I'm gutted it's not classified as a mountain as I really wanted to put '& Mountaineer' on my business card. Ah well.

Miss Magpie and myself started around 12:45, and I was at the peak at 1:20 or so. Miss Magpie climbed about 66% of a volcano today, before deciding to rest and enjoy the scenery. I won't lie, I was a little short for breath at the top.

I'm king of the mountain, me.

So with the 1½ mile walk from Leith into town, the same back again, the walk up and around Regent Gardens and on to Holyrood Palace and up the Royal Mile then half way back down again, we've probably done around 8-9 miles. Early night, then into town tomorrow!

Day two? Tiring.

DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organisations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment