Wednesday 30 March 2011

117: Geek Detour, Part III

CAUTION: Yen's blog contains harsh language and even harsher notions of propriety. Reader discretion is advised.


Since I've already posted about my obsessive collecting of Star Wars and Bowling For Soup media, I may as well round off March by showing you the one other area where I get a bit rabid. Especially whenever I'm in a secondhand bookshop.

The works of Mr Brian Lumley. He's a British horror/fantasy/sci-fi author, originally from the same part of the world as I am. I was introduced to his writing in 1995, and he's the one who's really responsible for me reading as a pasttime. I never really saw the point until I'd read Necroscope.

Brian Lumley's vampires make others look like stroppy 14yr old goths. Which, as I understand it, a lot of them actually are these days. Anyway, on with The Collection...


^^ Click for bigger (486kb). Opens in new Tab/Window.
(S) = Signed copy.
(S/P) = Signed and personalised copy.


Row One:
1. Necroscope (UK Edition)
2. Necroscope II: Wamphyri!
3. Necroscope III: The Source
4. Necroscope IV: Deadspeak
5. Necroscope V: Deadspawn
6. Vampire World I: Blood Brothers
7. Vampire World II: The Last Aerie
8. Vampire World III: Bloodwars
9. Necroscope: The Lost Years, Vol 1
10. Necroscope: The Lost Years, Vol 2
11. E-Branch: Invaders
12. Necroscope: Invaders

Row Two:
13. Necroscope: Defilers
14: Necroscope: The Touch (S)
15. Necroscope: Avengers
16. Necroscope (US Edition)
17. Necroscope (French Edition)
18. Vampire World III: Bloodwars (US Edition)
19. Necroscope: The Lost Years, Vol 2 (US Edition)
20. The Burrowers Beneath
21. The Transition of Titus Crow
22. The Clock of Dreams
23. Spawn of the Winds
24. In The Moons of Borea

Row Three:
25. Mythos Omnibus Vol 1
26. Mythos Omnibus Vol 2
27. The Compleat Crow
28. The Taint, And Other Novellas (S)
29. Haggopian, And Other Stories (S)
30. A Coven of Vampires
31. Fruiting Bodies, And Other Funghi
32. Dagon's Bell, And Other Discords
33. The Second Wish, And Other Exhalations
34. Demogorgon (original print)
35. Demogorgon (reprint)
36. Return of The Deep Ones, And Other Mythos Tales

Row Four:
37. The House Of Cthulhu
38. Tarra Khash: Hrossak!
39. Sorcery in Shad
40. Hero of Dreams
41. Ship of Dreams
42. Mad Moon of Dreams
43. Ship of Dreams (reprint)
44. Iced on Aran (reprint)
45. Psychomech
46. Psychosphere
47. Psychamok
48. Psychosphere (original print)

Row Five:
49. Khai of Ancient Khem
50. The House of Doors
51. The House of Doors: Second Visit
52. E-Branch: Invaders (Book-club hardcover edition)
53. Necroscope (German Edition)
54. The House of The Temple (#97/300)(S)
55. Freaks (#404/750)(S)
56. Screaming Science Fiction (#un-numbered/300)(S/P)*1
57. The Nonesuch (S)
58. Ghoul Warning, And Other Omens (S/P)*2

Row Six:
59. Ghoul Warning, And Other Omens (1999 reprint)
60. Necroscope: The Plague-Bearer (#136/250)(S)
61. Necroscope: The Plague-Bearer
62. Necroscope: Harry and the Pirates (proof copy)
63. Necroscope, And Other Weird Heroes (large-scale paperback)
64. Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (S/P)
65. Necroscope: The Lost Years, Vol 1
66. Necroscope: The Lost Years, Vol 2
67. Necroscope, And Other Weird Heroes (hardback)

Row Seven:
68. Necroscope: Defilers
69. Necroscope: Avengers
70. Necroscope: The Touch (hardback)
71. Necroscope: The Touch (large-scale paperback)
72. Necroscope: Harry and the Pirates (large-scale paperback)

And in case you hadn't noticed that I'm fixated with Necroscope, here are the comics based on some of those books...



^^ Click for bigger (180kb). Opens in new Tab/Window.

73. Necroscope Book I (TPB, issues #1-5)
74. Necroscope Book II, Issue #1
75. Necroscope Book II, Issue #2
76. Necroscope Book II, Issue #3
77. Necroscope Book III, Issue #1
78. Necroscope Book III, Issue #2

What can I tell you? I prefer Trade-Paperbacks; they're easier to look after. Books 2 & 3 were never finished, hence the individual issues.

+ + + + +

Each book has been read at least once. Several have been read a few times, and some have been read a lot.
Usual rules apply: I'm not claiming to have more than anyone else (there are constant re-issues of Brian's work, and I just don't have the money or the shelf-space to keep up), they just make me smile.

With the exceptions of one or two short-story compilations where I've already got most of the content, and with the exceptions of independently published short stories (magazines/fanzines etc), I think I've got most of what he's written in one form or another. I haven't even started hunting down the Roleplaying books yet, as I'm not sure that's a box I want to open.


All that remains is for me to thank you, dear reader, for indulging me, and to thank Mr Brian Lumley for many, many hours of great reading. Long may he continue.

Brian Lumley's official website can be found at: www.brianlumley.com, and his Twitter page is @BrianLumley.



*1 This is from a run of 300, but was formerly owned by the author, so is an un-numbered edition. Even rarer, I guess?.
*2 This is an original 1982 printing, formerly owned by the author. Mint condition. Signed and personalised to me. This is my holy grail.


DISCLAIMERS:
• ^^^ That's dry, British humour, and most likely sarcasm or facetiousness.

• This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here represent my own thoughts (at the time of writing) and not those of the people, institutions or organizations that I may or may not be related with unless stated explicitly.

No comments:

Post a Comment